The Moran Family of Brands understands hiring the right staff can make or break your auto business. Learn how to hire automotive technicians and how owning a franchise can help.
Since the Great Resignation in 2021, when 47.8 million people quit their jobs to take new opportunities with better pay and more flexibility, small businesses are still grappling with labor challenges. The unemployment rate hovered between 3.4% and 3.7% for most of 2022, down from 14.7% in April 2020. Record-low unemployment rates force businesses to compete for talent by offering signing bonuses and better wages and cause high turnover.
Although businesses got a break in June as job growth slowed, the skilled labor industry still faces a dearth of talent. At least 40% of the 12 million people in the skilled trades workforce are over the age of 45, and less than 9% of workers aged 19 to 24 entered the trades, according to PeopleReady. And nearly 3 million skilled trade jobs are forecast to be left unfilled by 2028.
Don’t let employment statistics stop you from pursuing your dream of entrepreneurship in the auto industry. Finding automotive franchise opportunities can ramp up your chances of securing valuable talent. Moran is the franchisor of six aftermarket auto and window tinting industry brands, including Milex Complete Auto Care, Mr. Transmission, and Turbo Tint.
Here are some of the advantages of partnering with Moran:
- You’ll benefit from established brand recognition, which can attract customers and potential employees alike.
- We provide training programs and ongoing support to help recruit and retain skilled mechanics and technicians.
- Our standardized processes and operating procedures make it easier for new hires to adapt quickly.
- Our marketing resources help promote the business, attract customers, and aid in recruitment efforts.
- As part of a franchise network, you can connect with other franchisees who might have valuable insights on recruiting and managing technicians.
- At Moran, we’re a family. Highlighting our positive company culture, opportunities for growth, and employee perks will make your business stand out as an attractive employer.
Partnering with Moran gives you a competitive advantage when it comes to hiring, but you’ll still need to be proactive in your recruitment efforts. We’ve picked up some tips and tricks to help the franchisees in our system gain access to top talent.
- Write a clear job description. Make sure to craft a concise and clear job description and utilize various job platforms such as online job boards, industry-specific websites, and social media channels to reach a wide pool of potential candidates.
- Network. Attend industry events and trade shows to network with other professionals in the automotive field.
- Connect with trade schools. You can reach out to local trade schools to form valuable partnerships and find fresh talent. Many trade schools offer apprenticeship programs allowing you to provide on-the-job training.
- Employee referrals. Don’t forget, your existing employees can be your best asset. Employee referrals can often lead to high-quality hires. Consider offering a monetary incentive to encourage your current employees to refer potential candidates.
- Think outside the box. Sometimes finding the right talent requires creative thinking. Don’t focus solely on candidates with a background in the automotive industry. Moran has the systems in place to enable you to conduct on-the-job training to reach a wider pool of applicants. Soft skills such as communication, teamwork, and customer service are crucial for a successful and customer-friendly auto business.
Schedule a Time to Talk
Connect with a franchise expert from our team to learn more about how to hire automotive technicians. As specialists in the automotive aftermarket, we’re here to give you a chance to achieve your dream. Become a franchisee today!